Tuesday, September 16, 2008

City Life

Last night some of us went out with the Mongolians we had befriended on the Gobi trip. They took us dancing at this crazy club. In the entrance, two rotweilers were muzzled up and looking threatening next to a chained up puppy. Inside was a taxidermy display, a giant fish tank for a bar counter, dancers, fake snow falling on the dance floor and dry ice everywhere. At 1 am, the show started. A beatboxer, contortionists, an act where a man lay down on nails, saws, and broken glass while people stood on him and hammered mud bricks on his back. It was intense. Some of us had to leave for parts, like the glass part. I could see the shards and marks on his skin. Ulaanbaatar is a harsh city sometimes, so I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised. It's such a contrast from where I just came from, the land of open spaces, sunsets, and friendly herders. I come back to UB to find the horns still honking nonstop, the cars still wizzing inches away from pedestrians, people cutting in front of me, shoving me aside, street boys making lewd gestures and trying to unzip my bags from behind. Although I enjoy having bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, the city seems like an unhealthy place overall. It's nice being here for now, but I couldn't imagine living in UB forever. I would rather buy a ger and spend my days running after camels.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally got my computer fixed, though everything is gone. sad... I have now officially zero music and zero photos in my computer. When are you gonna mail me that goat?