Saturday, December 13, 2008

In Viet Nam, people don't really go to church...

I woke up hungry. I'd heard that you were supposed to bargain hard for your breakfast, but that isn't really my cup of tea in a new country where you don't even know how to say "hello" yet. So I trusted them to give me back the correct change, and I counted it out later and figured out they had charged me six times what it was supposed to cost. Damn. Not the best welcome I've ever got, and the food wasn't even good. The Vietnamese dong is really inflated, so the math gets a bit sticky. It's not as much like Thailand as I thought, though it's more similar to it than any other place I've ever been. Still, I feel a little more disoriented here than anywhere else I've been yet. I think it's because not a single person on this trip, including our leaders, has been here before. I could get used to it, I could fall in love with it, but right now it's a little confusing. I know that great food and people exist here, and I don't know how to order it or how to talk to them. Sometimes I wish I could just stay in one place long enough to understand it.

1 comment:

Suzye Qzee said...

Lindsey boodles, Sandy discovered a movie that rivals pride and prejudice with its longing gazes and miscommunications! You have this to look forward too in summer. How long will you be in Vietnam for?