Friday, February 20, 2009

Delhi

So we just got back from Agra and seeing the Taj Mahal, which I will bombard you with pictures of when I get a chance to use my own laptop. It was even more beautiful than I expected, and now I understand why it has become so famous. It was breathtaking.

In other news, I spent way too much money on souvenirs and am having some serious buyer's remorse. I did improve my bargaining skills considerably, but those hawkers are so convincing. They always get me to buy cool things I can't afford or carry, so now I'm heading off to the post office, which I hear is a madhouse and takes three hours to send anything and there's no guarantee it will even get there without being stolen. They make you take it somewhere to get sewn and waxed in classic Indian bureaucratic style of making things as inconvenient as possible. I just got to the YMCA and there are no packages or letters for me, even though I was told there were three on the way. So sad. Someone got a package sent to the Tibetan colony, a bunch of food from their mom, and when they got their package all the vegetarian food was removed. It probably wasn't the monks, they would have just eaten the meat.

For one final time of getting kicked for losing my passport (will the saga ever end?), the Indian bureaucrats who give passes to stay at the Tibetan colony were trying to fine me $300 for having a changed passport number registered (we had to apply 6 months in advance). The monk got it down to $100. I'm about to go broker than a joke.

3 comments:

Paul and Lucy Spadoni said...

From the heights to the "depths of despair." Hugs, Babe. So sorry.

randallspadoni said...

Hey Ducka, I sent you a letter at the Y as well about a month ago. When I was on Pac Rim I also had a bunch of books sewn together and mailed book rate to the U.S. It only cost me $6 to mail 10 pounds of books but it did take 9 months for them to get home and they were a little bit battered along the way. Don't put anything fragile in there. I just got your letter from Rato Monestary -- thanks! I met one of my old Pac Rim buddies here in D.C. -- he and his girlfriend just moved here -- and we were talking about our time in Rato while you were there. Lots of good memories. You know, it's sad but I can hardly remember Tommy. I'm glad he remembers me. Did you get a photo of him? I love you, Sis!!

Suzye Qzee said...

This lady at my bookclub is friends with the nurse on the your trip. I miss you bins! That sucks you didn't get my special birthday letter I sent you!!! Boohoo! Could it still possibly get there? I hope so. Thanks for that text, it seriously made me day!