Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Taj, Rato and Losar

Yesterday was Losar (Tibetan New Year) in Dharmsala, the mountainous city in the far north where I will be staying for the next three weeks. It’s the home of the Dalai Lama and a large community of exiled Tibetans, and the climate is similar to Tibet. I’ve been cold for the first time since I left Taiwan. Because of all the upheaval and killings this year in Lhasa, Tibetans decided not to celebrate openly this year and many of them went on hunger strike instead. Every day, there are marches and protests and pictures of injured Tibetans posted all over town. They even burned down a statue of Wen Jinbao, the Chinese prime minister, the other night and I hear there are plans to erect another one to throw shoes at. My family didn't do the hunger strike, but celebrated quietly with momos (spinach dumplings) and chang, homemade millet beer. There was no singing and dancing this year, which I was a little disappointed about. The Tibetans I live with are not too into protesting, and instead they are following the advice of the Dalai Lama not to be extreme or violent because it upsets India’s relationship with China. They don’t want to “bite the hand that feeds them” because India has been very kind to the Tibetan refugees. I am also discouraged from participating because of my visa restrictions, so I haven’t been too involved. I would have done the hunger strike, but my family was making momos and I wanted to learn how to make them and eat them with spicy sauce, so it never happened. The momos were way too delicious.
View from Dharmsala

Tibetans protesting Chinese dominationThe Hunger Strike

The family I’m staying with is a couple only a few years older than me. We live in a one-room house with a table, two couches which become beds at night, a shrine and a television. They take impeccably good care of me, almost a little too much. I am constantly eating a drinking when I’m around them. As soon as I take a sip of butter tea or chang or whatever, they fill up my cup again. And even though they share only one omlette in the morning, they make two for me. Hopefully their hospitality will calm down after a while. I had this issue with my Japanese host family too, but eventually we fell into a routine we were all comfortable with and they let me make my own decisions about when and how much to eat and what I did with my day. It takes time to get to that point, so for now I am telling my Tibetan family that I have to go study during the day and come home in the evening. Hopefully I can stay sane if I can carve a little time out for myself.
Me, my host "dad," a friend, my host "mom"
Me in traditional dress on Losar
Here's a few pictures from Jaipur and Agra, since I never got a chance to post during those four days:













































Group photo of us and the monks at Rato Dramstrag









So yesterday, my host “dad” and his friends played a card game with me where the winner of each hand gets to draw something on the face of the loser, and I was having especially bad luck. Check out the pictures below:


4 comments:

Paul and Lucy Spadoni said...

Love that picture of you and the Taj Mahol. In the group picture, are you standing behind and between your leaders? That card game looks fun! Love you--Mom

Syd said...

Oh man they throw shoes at their unpopular nations leaders too!? How odd! Your host "parants" look sweet! And that card game DOES look like fun! looks like you weren't the only one with bad luck though huh? haha

THANK YOU for my amazing card! I almost cried when I received it I was so excitded!! Will you be able to recieve it you think If I mail you a post card to the return address on there? or will you be leaving too soon? How long does it take to get that far anyway? you'r letter cam yesterday.
Let me know, otherwise I'm gunna just send it

love you girl!

Suzye Qzee said...

Wow Linds, you are so pretty even with eyeliner all over you beautiful lil face. Such eyes! Oh how I miss you! Is the guy in the picture under yours (with the eyeliner) the one you were telling me about? Will you bring me some prayer flags pretty please? I got Ashley's address for you:

Ashley Taylor
20521 Cypress Way
Lynnwood, WA 98036

Oh and are those real snake charmers!???? Seriously? So cool! Or are they like attatched with strings and made out of paper like what we did at our circus with Hattie and Amy, hahaha. Crumpled paper snakes!

Ha, my word varification is: porpsy. Where do they get these words? Love it.

Dan said...

OMG, I was going to say you are so pretty too. Guess sisters think alike and we both LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU LINDSEY AND MISS YOU!!!
Sandy posting as Dan