Friday, February 27, 2009

Animals and the End of the World


I just thought you might enjoy this little video I took the other day. This bird was trying to kill its own reflection for the whole ten minutes I was there, and who knows how long after I left.

And since Suzye was interested in the snake charmers, based on our own professional history, I am adding the video I took:


Not to detract from the MAGIC of angry snakes or anything, but in also case you're curious about what's actually happening with the snakes:

Standing erect and extending the hood is a normal defensive reaction for a cobra and simply indicates the snake's startled reaction to losing its darkened environment. Charmers may even wave their instrument over the opening (in such a way as to not arouse audience attention) in order to prompt the creature to emerge. As for the snake's swaying movement, it is actually a reaction to the movement of the performer's instrument and sometimes the tapping of his foot. The animal cannot actually hear the tune being played, though it can perhaps feel some of the sound vibrations as well as those from any tapping by the charmer. The serpent's evident reluctance to attack is explained by its timid nature; most snakes prefer to scare off possible predators rather than fight them.

And of course, monkeys are always predicting the end of the world with their own erratic behavior. The other day a monkey family (father, mother clutching baby) decended upon us as we were sitting next to a shrine. The male stole our chips and the rice from the offering alter and stuffed himself before his wife could get there. Naughty daddy.




My thoughts the last few days: Tibetans are crazzzy and waterfalls are magic.

3 comments:

Suzye Qzee said...

WAy to ruin snake magic for me! And here I thought it was a magic string attached to a flute! What is the monkey holding in the second picture? A rotten baby monkey corpse?

Randall H. Sloot said...

Sounds like prototypical male monkey behavior to me :)

Anonymous said...

crazzzy with 3 Zs huh?