Tuesday, November 25, 2008

By uphill I mean...

I loved it. Suzye and James, sorry I didn't get back to you on the phone call, I really didn't get a chance after that. I was always on the run, and I never got to a computer. I've been in transit since Sunday afternoon, so 3 days. It went: bus (to station), train (change 4 times), subway (to hotel), train (change 2 times), airplane (to Shanghai), bus (to another airport), airplane (to Fuzhou), bus (to apartment). Ugh. But it was all worth it.

Photobucket
My host mom, me, and host sister in front of our house

Photobucket
My first of five plates I ate at the organic buffet

Photobucket
Oh baby, flippin' the okonomiyaki

I was the only guest at my hostel in Sapporo because it was brand spankin' new, and the owner, Jin, was so sweet. I felt like a queen for $30 a night. I missed going to the chocolate and beer museums because I had an excessively long beauty sleep and by the time I woke up, it was too late to do anything serious. It was snowing buckets outside, and I went and found myself some delicious curry soup that made my lips tingle. I ate some sweets to make up for missing the chocolate factory and macha tea sundae, then later met some of Jin's friends and went out to the Rogue Beer Inn that James discovered. I ended up going dancing later (so fun) and meeting some friends who wanted to go snowboarding with me the next day. I checked out of my hostel and headed for Niseko, where I checked in at a hot springs hotel (aaaahhh) and woke up early the next day to a few feet of fresh powder.

Photobucket

With rental of a fine board, boots and a lift ticket, I only paid $60. I thought I might be a little rusty, but my snowboarding skills picked up right about where they left off: lots of speed and control, but still a little overly cautious on steep hills and taking jumps. Delicious soba noodles for lunch. Mmm-mmm. I love Japan.



Photobucket
Aussies taking over the Tokyo subway

Photobucket
Didn't see graffiti as cool as in Taiwan, but there was still interesting decor. I might just not have seen the right places.

There's a lot more to say, but I'm sleepy and have to wake up early tomorrow. I just checked into my apartment in Fuzhou, China. There's palm trees and glass shard fences outside.

1 comment:

Suzye Qzee said...

Good! I'm going to harass you night and day now!