Thursday, March 12, 2009

Long Live His Holiness

So yesterday I woke up at the last minute for the Dalai Lama lecture because I had taught Ropche and his friends to play king's cup the night before (they always play this really boring game that's like poker except there's no talent involved, just luck) and they loved this new game so I didn't get much sleep. I woke up five minutes before the teaching, put on my chupa (the Tibetan traditional dress, which I hate wearing but I heard His Holiness likes it when western women wear them). I was annoyed with my host dad as usual, and he was in a big hurry and wouldn't wait for his poor wife to go to the bathroom and made us leave without her. So then we got there and he was sitting there spitting tobacco and not paying attention, then he started falling asleep! I was suprised because he has a Dalai Lama shrine in his house, goes to the H.H. temple regularly to do prostrations and pray, but when he actually got saw the Dalai Lama in person he didn't really care. We were sitting next to this little Russian girl who had four pet rats in her bag and spoke perfect Tibetan, so Ropche poked and kissed the rats for the rest of the time and I shared a headphone with the girl and listened to a live translation of the speech.

Afterwards we had an appointment with His Holiness and I realized I forgot my passport! So I ran back to the hotel, knifed open my bag (the key was at home and I was worried I wouldn't have time to get it) and then ran back to the temple. I must have looked super crazy running all over town in my ill-fitting chupa. Everyone was laughing at me, but it was worth it. What would I tell my grandchildren if I had a chance to meet the Dalai Lama but I forgot my passport in classic Lindsey style? Anyways, I made it, went through the ridiculous security and then...well, it was short but sweet. We took a photo, shook hands, answered some questions and were sent on our way. I was pretty disapointed, actually. I had so many questions for him! But I'm grateful I at least got a chance to see his face in person. Picture coming soon...

I also got on BBC news! I was doing the protest thing a few days ago on the 50th Anniversary of the (failed) Tibetan uprising, marching down the street with my Tibetan flag yelling things like, "Long live the Dalai Lama! No more killing in Tibet! Out out China out!" It was my second protest ever and loads of fun. Here's a quick shot of the action:



Next up for me

Tomorrow: Final exam for Tibetan Buddhism

March 13th: looong bus ride to Delh

March 15th: to Kuala Lumpur

March 18th: Melbourne and my wonderful big sister!!

2 comments:

Suzye Qzee said...

I am your MEDIUM sister!


can't wait to see you binsey! I keep looking at your picture on my wall and going "awww, Lindsey, I'm going to see you so soon!" (yes, I admit I talk to you picture, so what!)

Paul and Lucy Spadoni said...

I missed seeing these pix--only had read the top part and didn't know you added. There was a 4.6 earthquake in Melbourne Sunday for 30 seconds. Would have been exciting for you if you'd been there by now. Suzye leaves today. How is Kuala Lumpur? Any travel adventures getting there? Love you, Mom