Saturday, January 24, 2009

Death by temples

Internet's been down the past few days, so I decided to go to this cafe, but my browser keeps getting bombarded with porn sites. No wonder they went to so much trouble to put up makeshift wooden walls between each computer...but privacy is precious in Asia, so it's kind of nice. Not having internet is making me productive as far as my stories go. I 'm on story #2, and it's shaping up nicely.

So we have two Indian professors that practically invite you to zone out, and one that is absolutely amazing at storytelling. No matter how brain-dead I am from the previous lecture on the architecture of temples (which I am starting to despise, which is bad because we still have a lot of temples to go), I am hanging on his every world like it was candy. Indian literature is fabulous-there's so much going on, so much there. It's giving me lots of ideas for my own writing, though I don't feel like I know India enough to write about it with any semblance of authority. The imagination of this place is thriling. We got Indian art, Indian food, Indian clothing, Indian music...why why why do all we care about is Indian temples??

No comments: